By Maureen Albertson
This is a common request - How do I tell which 700 series model that I have? All the decals are missing!
NOTE: For this reel series, as the model number gets bigger, the reel is actually smaller.
ALSO NOTE: All of the numbers/locations below are based on the Z series black/gold models, as these are all we had in stock to look at for identifying numbers. We do not have any of the original green parts in inventory.
Places to look for identifying numbers:
Inside the housing, underneath the gears (ie: 1-704)
- 1-700 - Green or Blue models only, never made in black/gold.
- 1-704 (for 704 and 706) The one with a brass bushing on the inside of the handle opening is a 704, without a bushing it's for the 706 (they use the same housing with that difference)
- 1-705, 1-707 - same as above, left handed versions, should both be stamped 705 with the brass bushing in the 705
- 1-711 Left handed
- 1-714 says "Ultrasport" on the outside
- 1-716 says "Penn Ultralight" on the outside (otherwise almost identical to 1-714)
- 1-720 (for 720 and 722) The one for the 720 has a brass bushing inside the bracketed hole where the spool shaft sits (right below where the pinion gear sits, the 722 does not have the bushing (they use the same housing with that difference)
Inside the housing cover (ie: 45-712 etc)
- 45-704 (plastic) number will be stamped
- 45-705 (metal) lefthanded, no number
- 45-710 - n/a- to check
- 45-711 (metal) (for 711 and 713) says 45-711-L - USED on both 711 and 713 reels, only decal is different.
- 45-714 (plastic) no number stamped
- 45-716 (plastic) no number stamped - same as 714 except for outside decal
- 45-720 (metal) (for 720 and 722) has a 3 stamped on the one that has the 720 outside decal, has a 4 stamped on the one that has the 722 outside decal, identical otherwise
Inside or Underneath the Rotor Cup (ie: 27-710 etc)
- 27-704 just underneath the spool in center
- 27-710 stamp is underneath the rotor, against where it sits on the housing, requires removal to see it.
- 27-712 just underneath the spool in center
- 27-714 just underneath the spool in center
- 27-716 just underneath the spool in center
- 27-720 just underneath the spool in center
Order parts online for this reel(s):